Erectile dysfunction is a common problem for a lot of men. ED is an issue of getting an erection to satisfy a partner. It means that a person can’t hold it or the penis is not firm. Nevertheless, men may fail in bed from time to time, but if it happens often you need to get treatment.
Why does ED happen?
There are various reasons for ED to happen:
- Harmed nerves or blood vessels in the penis;
- Stress and emotions;
- ED may happen as a signal to more serious diseases, like atherosclerosis, diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart diseases.
Finding causes of your ED will actually help you a lot in terms of choosing the right prescription medication. You must understand that if you treat ED, you also treat heart diseases and get away from stress. Overall you will just enjoy sex!
Basics of Erection
During sexual stimulation, your nerves inject chemicals to increase blood flow and make the penis bigger. The blood fills the spongy muscle tissues of the penis to get it up and ready to maintain an erection.
When erection happens your spongy tissues relax to trap the blood. Therefore, due to the high blood pressure, the penis becomes firm and erected. When a man gets an orgasm, the second signal gets to the brain and it makes the penis spongy body to contract. Thus, you start to get less blood into the penis after the ejaculation. The blood returns back to the circulation and the penis relaxes until the next sexual stimulation. That’s how oral ED treatment works.
When a man is not sexually aroused, the penis is soft and small. It means that the penis has naturally returned to its calm state. In case of erectile dysfunction, the penis can’t hold for longer.
Men with ED – symptoms you must know!
The main symptom of Erectile Dysfunction is an inability to maintain an erection firm or long enough for satisfactory sex. In this case, you need to look for treatments of ED, It’s not only about sex as an inability to perform sexually may be a sign of many serious problems, like cardiovascular diseases or even prostate cancer.
A lot of studies show that men with ed may also have a health problem, like leg blood circulatory diseases or heart attacks.
ED in men is also one of the main reasons for:
- Low self-esteem;
- Distress with a sexual partner.
- ED is a serious threat to the relationship and men’s health. If a man suffers from it, he needs to treat ED as soon as possible.
What causes ED?
Health problem due to ED may be caused by general risk factors:
- Drugs and alcohol;
- High cholesterol level;
- High blood pressure;
- Being over 50;
Even so, ED mostly comes with age, not all will suffer from it at an old age. Some men stay sexually active even in their 80s. Erectile dysfunction is usually a sign of more serious health problems. The most common causes are physical, like:
- Not enough blood flow in the penis;
- Inability to trap blood in the penis to maintain an erection;
- Damaged nerves or inability to send signals to the brain and back to the penis;
- Diabetes on various forms as it may damage blood vessels and penis tissues;
- Cancer or cancer treatment as these conditions directly influence the functionality of the penis;
- Some drugs may also negatively affect the penis.
In addition, there are also emotional causes that greatly influence sexual health.
Such cases can be:
- Worries of sex performance;
- Social stress;
- Disturbance from home or work life;
How to diagnose ED?
Your first step should start by visiting a doctor. Before providing you treatments for Erectile Dysfunction, a good doctor will ask you some questions to determine the best treatment options.
The most typical questions about your health:
- Do you smoke? (Heavy smokers are the first ones to suffer from ED)?
- How much alcohol do you usually drink? How often? (Drinking is the second largest problem of men with Erectile Dysfunction)?
- What drugs do you use? Are they recreational drugs? (Some recreational drugs may cause ED)?
- How often do you get sick? (People with low immunity level are more prone to sexual problems)?
- Do you suffer from urinary diseases? ( Erectile Dysfunction may start with urinary diseases)
The most common questions about ED:
- For how long do you experience these symptoms?
- Do you have so-called morning or night erection?
- How firm is your erection?
- Does your erection last long enough for satisfying sex?
- Do you reach climax? How long can you last before reaching it?
- Does your erection painful?
- Does this problem affect your daily life?
Stress and emotions type of questions:
- Are you under stress? Do you enjoy your life?
- Do you suffer from any mental illness?
- Do you suffer from depression?
- Have you taken any drugs?
- Do you feel stressed?
Tests for Erectile Dysfunction
When a doctor finished consulting with you, he/she may ask you to go through some physical examination. It’s needed to evaluate your current problem with Erectile Dysfunction. Moreover, you may also need to get through some medical tests to determine the severity of your health situation.
Treat Erectile Dysfunction!
There are various types of treatments for erectile dysfunction that can safely help with your problem.
Take a look at the various options:
- Oral drugs – the most preferred options in case of ED treatments. They are mostly PDE-5 inhibition prescription medication types (Stendra, Levitra, Cialis, Viagra).
- Testosterone therapy – only if the reason for ED is testosterone insufficiency.
- Penile injections – not the first choice but they are pretty effective (intracavernosal Alprostadil, ICI).
- Vacuum Devices – one the most innovative ways to fight Erectile Dysfunction.
- Penile Implants – there are two main types in case of ED treatment.
- Surgery – is performed for men who suffer from penile artery damage.
Top 5 best ED treatment options
Oral Drugs against Erectile Dysfunction
These drugs are PDE-5 inhibitors. Their main goal is to improve blood flow into the penis. These oral agents are approved by Food and Drug Administration (USA).
The most popular of them:
Men usually take one pill one hour before sex. These medical treatments need normal functionality of nerves to treat Erectile Dysfunction. PDE-5 inhibitors improve normal erectile functions. 9 out of 10 patients show enhancement of the erection after using these drugs.
Nevertheless, you shouldn’t take PDE-5 inhibitors together with nitrates as it may decrease your chance to get rid of symptoms of Erectile Dysfunction. At the same time, these inhibitors may have side effects, like:
- Muscle aches;
- Facial flushing;
- Stuffy nose;
Testosterone therapy and Erectile Dysfunction
This type of therapy is good for men with low testosterone and low sex drive. The therapy is one of the best ways to treat ED symptoms and it’s especially effective with PDE-5 inhibitors.
Vacuum Devices against Erectile Dysfunction
These so-called vacuum erotic devices are the plastic vacuum tubes that you wear over the penis. A pump needs to make the vacuum around our penis to get an erection. In addition, the elastic ring of the pump around your penis will hold the blood within the penis. As a result, 30 minutes of this procedure will significantly improve sexual health.
Injections to fight Erectile Dysfunction
Alprostadil is a medicine that needs to be injected directly into the penis. This drug gets into the penis and expands the blood vessels to pump more blood. Therefore, it makes the penis bigger and firmer. As a result, men can get an erection with less effort and this erection more than enough to perform sexually.
Penile Implants and surgery as the last methods to get rid of Erectile Dysfunction
This type of ED treatment is good when other methods have failed. There are two types these implants: inflatable and semirigid. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. The main idea is to put an implant inside the penis to make it stronger during an erection. To insert an implant you need surgery.
Moreover, sometimes implants are not necessary. That’s why before getting any surgery, you need to consult with a doctor. Do not forget that after surgery you will need recovery time. During this recovery time you may experience:
- Discomfort, swelling or bruising for weeks;
- Pain that needs painkillers;
- Inability to have sex within the first months after the operation.
There are various options for medical treatments for ED treatment available on the market. Nevertheless, before you start taking any action towards your health, you must consult with a doctor. Only a medical specialist may provide you prescription and advice for your health.